Bulldog is today only more a colloquial name for a tractor or an agricultural tractor. This expression was coined/shaped however by the legendary Lanz Bulldog agricultural tractor, the beginning to center 20. Century under the type designation "Bulldog" were manufactured by the company Lanz (Heinrich Lanz corporation, Mannheim), today John Deere.
The name was derived from the appearance of the first Bulldog engines, since had this similarity with the face of a Bulldogge.
The heart of each Bulldog was over the entire production time in over 250.000 units the einzylindrige Bulldog engine, which worked according to the glow head principle (glow head engine).
The success of the Bulldog was its simplicity and robustness, in many other disciplines, how tractive power, technology or consumption were the Bulldogs particularly starting from the employment of the first Diesel tractors usually supported, which did however no erosion to its success. In addition the reliable Bulldog already drove, as it Diesel-driven tractors gave and the gasoline-driven tractors was not very unreliable still at all in the rough enterprise of the agriculture. A further advantage of the Bulldog was the cheap fuel, the insensitivity and the fact that these fuels did not explode, as the case was frequent with gasoline-driven tractors.
The Bulldogmotor starting from approximately 1918 developed of engineer Dr. Fritz Huber (* 8. March 1881; " 14 April 1942). From it legendary the sentence become comes: A tractor cannot be einzylindrig enough. The glow head engine is valve and carburetorless secondary act Diesel with crank case loading. For starting the glow nose, which is in the cylinder head, must be heated up.
Bulldog was called first actually only the engine, which one could acquire in stationary building method as Ortbulldog, and in movable building method as Gespannbulldog (not self-propelled, but of horses pulled) as inexpensive Lokomobile.
Thus the triumphant advance of the Bulldog in the competition began against operating cost and labor intensive steam engines and its call was already strengthened, when competitors began to build inexpensive and useful tractors with gasoline or diesel engines. There were the Bulldog even in Feldbahnen (type of FM) and locomotives (Schienenbulldog).
When one recognized that the Bulldog saws, mills, stone crusher and threshing machines could not only propel, but also together with tillage implements, approximately the Lanz agricultural tractors with the durable glow head engine around 1921, which went starting from 1923 into series, developed themselves.
The first agricultural tractor types, the HL-Bulldog, as well as already the HP-Bulldog provided with all wheel and center pivot steering possessed still the first engine with drilling of 190 mm and one stroke of 220 mm and 12 HP with 320 1/min, later 420 1/min. of the HP were equipped already with evaporative cooling.
At this time the Bulldogs had either no transmission or only one two-speed transmission without reverse gear. For backing up the direction of rotation of the engine had to be changed over - a procedure, which required exercise.
There was still in small number of items 8 a HP variant (approx. 3 litre capacity) with the name Mops, as well as one of the Lanz field engine, a gasoline tractor in framework building method, derived glow head variant with a standing 2-zyl. Glow head engine with 12,4 litres capacity, the so-called field thanks (38 HP).
As suitable fuels Lanz in its folders called: "Brown coal tar gas oil, mineral gas oil, vegetable and animalische oils, petroleum". The Bulldog engine was thus a genuine dual-fuel engine.
The HP, as well as the field thanks were however and expensive in view of the inflation and the world economic crisis too. The sales impacts remained out (field thanks approx. 800 pieces, HP approx. 720 pieces of total production). A simpler lower-priced variant had ago.
Thus the first "Grossbulldog" developed, the type HR (beginning with the type designation, later high-numbers HR2 to HR8) with 22/28 HP and evaporator cooling. It had already the typical Bulldog appearance, which remained coining/shaping up to the attitude of the manufacturing. Were changed this only by the some years later introduced, substantially more effective of this time were called the Bulldogs
The HR series had already the engine with approx. 10.3 litres capacity, blocked up to the conversion to half Diesel and full Diesel technology, resulting from drilling/deviation ratio of 225 mm/260 mm. The prototype of the HR was equipped even still with all-wheel drive and Differenzialsperren.
The obligation to saving however all-wheel drive, even the Differenzialsperre was sacrificed and starting from this time gave it only more einzylindrige rear wheel-propelled Bulldogs up to the end of the manufacturing.
By change of the final number of revolutions from first 500 1/min with 22/28 HP, later 35 HP up to 750 1/min with 45/55 HP this engine into the 1950-er could keep up years with the competition. The high consumption of the glow head technology required however a reorientation and into the 1950-er years first to half Diesels, later to full Diesels was in such a way changed over.
Briefly before that 2. World war was presented a further smaller Bulldog with 15 HP, the so-called Bauernbulldog. It had already a mechanical lifting gear for attachments. Also middle series (type HN) with approx. 4.7 litres capacity were built.
During the Bulldog era there were different series with today partially strangely seeming names of the simple "Ackerluft Bulldog" over "Verkehrsbulldog" up to the sprinter "Eilbulldog", which there was with firm leader house and high speed gear. This terms, to which still the "Gummibulldog", which "actually equipment characteristics designated Doppelbulldog", to which and some further belong.
The Gummibulldog was the road execution of the HL with Elastikbereifung (full rubber tires before the pneumatic tires were used), the Doppelbulldog had - contrary to the normal HL a 2-Gang-Getriebe. The was particularly equipped for the employment of this fuel with a changed ignition bag in the glow head.
Since the Bulldogs, which Lanz' tradition following, in highest possible quality were manufactured and due to the engine technology quasi everyone village-forge be waited could, became the word Bulldog earned the synonym for robustness and achievement.
This model "Trecker" found also its recognition for the Comedy figure of the Treckerfahrer", to a Comedysendung of the of radio ffn.
|Lanz (1940)||Lanz (1940)||Lanz (1940)||Lanz D3507 (1941)|
We found here 5 articles.
» Liquid manure barrel
» Load car