Friedrich Loeffler institute

The Friedrich Loeffler institute (FLI) is Bundesforschungsinstitut for animal health. Institut was created 1910 and has his head office on the island Riems. 1952 were designated it after its founder Friedrich Loeffler.

Tasks

The FLI is an independent federal upper authority Federal Ministry for nutrition, agriculture and consumer protection. It investigates primarily the infections of agricultural utilizable cattle and adjacent sciences (among other things molecular biology, virus diagnostics, Immunologie and epidemiology). That animal-you-tightness-set and the genetic engineering law assign Institut special tasks of the monitoring and research. Institut publishes its research results and co-operates with national and international scientists and institutes.

Locations and organization

The research establishment is divided at present into eight institutes at 4 locations. President and director/conductor of the institute are nat Professor Dr. rer. Thomas’s C. Mettenleiter.

  • Island Riems: Molecular biology, virus diagnostics, infection medicine as well as new and new animal you exciters (TSE, H5N1, new infections)
  • Immunologie
  • Wusterhausen/Dosse: Epidemiology
  • Jena: Bacterial infections and Zoonosen, molecular pathogenesis.

History

Head office Riems

Friedrich Loeffler (1852-1915), chair owners for hygiene at the University of grab forest, described as first 1898 the exciter of the muzzle and claw epidemic (MKS). Its further research and experiments over the MKS led several times to the propagation of the virus in the environment of grab forest. Therefore he was requested by national side to find a new place for its investigations. After in the year 1909 the Prussian government acquired the island Riems, it created 1910 on the island Riems first virologische Forschungsinstitut lain in close proximity to grab forest. The station at that time essentially consisted of stable areas for 12 cattle and unites pigs, a laboratory of approximately 20 square meter room size and unites small secondary rooms, as well as a few dwellings for institute servants. To Friedrich Loefflers team belonged also Paul Uhlenhuth. The only connection of the mainland represented Loeffler” at the beginning of the steamers “. Later a wire rope course was added, which secured traffic for humans and materials also in the winter with frozen over water. 1913 were appointed Loeffler to the institute for Robert cook in Berlin, the research on the Riems triumphed and became in the 1. World war finally adjusted. Only 1919 were entrusted the veterinary surgeon Otto forest man to resume the research from Loeffler the MKS. In the year 1920 the researchers on the island Riems discovered the susceptibility of the guinea pig for the virus of the MKS. 6000 guinea pigs on suctions became average. Guinea pig soils accommodated and in the year the total consumption amounted to approx. 70,000 guinea pigs. The guinea pig showed an excellent suitability for the transmission of the epidemic. It was besides more cheaply than the expensive attempts with cattle and pigs, which were to be procured also very laboriously. The most important task of the institute was it to find a vaccine for the illness. 1938 – 1940 were used a first vaccine for the fight of an MKS outbreak. 1943 were subordinated Institut as “realm research institute island Riems” directly to the realm. After end 2. World war extracted one in the course of the reparations the equipment Institut nearly completely. However Institut 1946 took his work, because the MKS spread again. Starting from 1948 Heinz led the “research institute for animal epidemics island Riems”. After establishment of the GDR the “academy of the agriculture sciences” took the responsibility for Institut. 1952 one designated Institut after Loeffler, which would have become 100 years old in this year. In the following years Institut researched to the MKS, at the pig plague, at poultry epidemics and at further diseases of utilizable animals.

1992 one created Institut again, when part of the federal research institute for virus diseases of the animals (BFAV), which had been created 1952 in 1997 became the location Riems the head office of the research institute.

At present Riems of about 240 coworkers work, under it 50 scientists on the island.

Until 2010 are to be developed the FLI to most modern Tierseuchenforschungsinstitut Europe. For approx. 150 million euro new laboratories and stables develop. The locations and Wusterhausen are then dissolved.

1952 were created by the former Riemser researcher Erich Traub the federal research institute for virus diseases of the animals (BFAV) for the Federal Republic of Germany.

Wusterhausen

First Wusterhausen was since 1962 location of a district animal hospital. 1971 one raised these to Bezirksinstitut for veterinarian nature (BIV). One researched at the diagnostics of diseases and at feeds. Since in the GDR however no epidemiological research was operated, one decided 1982 to convert Institut into national Institut for Epizootiologie and animal you fight (SIFET). Institut began 1985 its work and concentrated only on the epidemiology. It was subordinated to the Ministry for land, forest and food processing industry of the GDR.

In Wusterhausen 50 coworkers are employed, of it 15 scientists.

Jena

1954 were created Institut for bacterial animal you research (ITSF) of the German academy of the agriculture sciences.